The Public Houses

Over time there had been five in the village.

The Lord Nelson

In 1806 it was known as Nelson’s Head and in the 1851 census, as The Admiral Lord Nelson. George Kent is shown as innkeeper in the 1851 census. It closed as a pub in the 1880’s and is now a Grade II listed building. The Lord Nelson is now the thatched Nelson House at the corner of Banbury Road and Kents Lane.

Plumbers Arms

There is not much information about the pub in Hockley Lane. Polly Biles knew of it but did not mention its name. It was recorded as Plumbers Arms in the censuses of 1871 and 1881. The occupant was Henry Bacon, himself a plumber by trade and also a painter and glazier, but he did not call himself a publican. The house is now known as Bramblereed House.

John Henry Heritage, a carrier, took the house. He was still there in 1901

The Saracen’s Head

The Saracens Head had been an old coaching inn. Halford Road where it is located was once a busy road. Thomas Heritage (1756-1810) was the first Heritage to held the licence and it co continued through successive generations. Gradually the rod became less busy as traffic used another route and finally until Thomas George Heritage became the host. Plagued by money worries and eczema he drowned himself in pond in Ettington Park 1904

The Chequers

In the 1851 census Richard Hall was the innkeeper. By 1871 Robert Bennett had taken over.

Then in 1881 it was Henry Parker, who described himself as Innkeeper and carrier.

William and Louisa (nee Heritage) Southam took over in 1886 and stayed for many years. Both families had already been in Ettington for many years.

William Southam’s father came to Ettington in the 1840s and his mother Eliza Mason was born in the village, where her parents were married in 1811. William was a very good cricketer and played regularly for the Ettington club. As a young man he had trials for the Warwickshire County side. He had the opportunity to become a regular county player, but preferred the greater security of his livelihood as a publican.

The White Horse

Is another very old inn. It is not named specifically in the Victuallers’ Database, but by a process of elimination it is possible to glean that John Hornby was the innkeeper in 1802. Stephen Hands had the licence for over 40 years until his death in 1883. By 1891 William Edkins took over the licence, which remained with him and later his son for 50 years or more.